I am willing to take on students in the South Wales area interested in learning Sanskrit at any level. I can travel anywhere in Cardiff, or otherwise you are welcome to come to my house.
For Beginners I can offer a complete introduction to the language. Including learning the Devanagari script and background information on Sanskrit and South Asian history. This is suitable for any age and the course can be tailored to your individual learning style. It must be said however that Sanskrit is a difficult language and requires a lot of time and effort to master. The book used is Michael Coulson’s Teach Yourself Sanskrit. If you think Sanskrit is not for you but you are interested in discovering the history or religions of South Asia I am happy to gently teach these subjects in English.
For intermediate learners who have studied some Sanskrit previously I can cover more in-depth grammatical rules and we can begin translating some easy texts such as the Hitopadesa animal stories found in Lanman’s Sanskrit Reader (Also available online for free).
For advanced and intermediate learners I can offer specialist sessions translating and examining the following areas, with example texts:
- Upaniṣads (Bṛhadāraṇyaka Upaniṣad)
- Dharmaśāstra law (Yājñavalkya Smṛti)
- Advaita Vedanta Hindu Philosophy (Sankara’s Upadeśasāhasri)
- Mimamsa Hindu philosophy (Kumarila’s Slokavartika)
- Buddhist Tantra (Hevajrasekaprakriya, Saptākṣarasādhana)
- Buddhist Philosophy (Abhidharmakośabhāsya, Chandrakīrti’s Prasannapadā commentary on the Mūlamadhyamakakārikā)
- Bhagavad Gita
- Hindu Epics (Mahabharata)
- Buddhist Jātaka, Vratakatha and Avadana tales
£40 per hour (£20 unwaged, or another arrangement), group discounts.
Sanskrit is a wonderful language and deserves to be widely taught, so I am happy to come to alternative financial arrangements. I will also swap free Sanskrit tutoring for Nepali or Nepal Bhasa classes.
For more information or to arrange a taster session please e-mail me at: firstname.lastname@example.org